Friday, January 09, 2009

cardboard testimonies

Last Sunday we had an incredible time of praise during service.  We had a time of doing cardboard testimonies.  People wrote on one side of the cardboard a need, a hurt, a situation that only God could redeem.  On the other side of the cardboard, they wrote how God redeemed it.  While Jason and the band played, people came across the stage holding their signs.  This time was so powerful as we as a church family rejoiced over the testimonies.

I was struck by several things in the moment.  One was that God is still preforming miracles before our eyes!  There were so many instances of healings that only God could have done. There were marriages and broken hearts that only God could get the glory for reconciling.

On the flip side of that, I saw many people walk across the stage with their signs that were still actively in their hurt.  So many people who are still suffering in their circumstance, people who have been suffering for years.  

Yet, when they turned their sign around all that was there was a statement of rejoicing because the theme that weaved through all those different signs and situations is that their joy and their all is found in Him.  Regardless of whether or not God chooses to change their situations, their portion will always remain in Him.

I was in awe of their faith and their contentment.  Faith that God can do all, and contentment that if he chooses not to change their present situation, then that doesn't make Him any less God or any less their Savior.

The following song I feel like captures the prayer I have for myself, my family and our church.  

Desert Song (Hillsong)

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am conqueror and co- heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

All of my life in every season
You are still God,
I have a reason to sing,
I have a reason to worship

I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I received I will sow

No comments: