Wednesday, November 25, 2009

thanksgiving tree

My kids have been super confused about the holidays this year.

A week ago, I went ahead and put out our Christmas decorations. Normally, we have a tradition of putting it up on Thanksgiving weekend after we celebrate Thanksgiving. I was afraid, however, that I would be too tired to put it up later. I had a burst of energy (that didn't last long), and I convinced Jason to drag out all the Christmas decor. I just love my house decorated for Christmas!

Emma and Ava are convinced that Christmas is coming any day now. I have been trying to tell them that first we celebrate Thanksgiving and then later we will celebrate Christmas. They both decided that this was not good enough. We needed to skip the holiday and bring on Christmas since that holiday comes with presents. So in my feeble attempt this week to talk about Thanksgiving and prove that it is a fun, worthwhile holiday that needs to be celebrated, we sat down to make a Thanksgiving Thankfulness Tree.

I grabbed a branch from out back (so nice to have woods that back up to your backyard), and cut out some leaves. I had the girls tell me some things they were thankful for. I wrote Emma's down and let her copy it and write it herself. Ava told me what to write and then she drew a picture on the back of the leaf of what she was thankful for. I believe this will be a new tradition for our family!

Behold the Thanksgiving Thankfulness Tree...
thanksgiving tree 1


Some of the things that Emma was thankful for was her friends, her bed (because we often make her sleep on floor?) and the mall. That's my girl!
thanksgiving tree 9


Emma's also thankful for her daddy.
thanksgiving tree 7



Ava's drawings
thanksgiving tree 6




thanksgiving tree 5


Emma's also thankful for school.
thanksgiving tree 4



Ava right off the bat told me she was thankful for her all of her animals. All of the zoo that we have here. It was so sweet because of the two of the girls she is the one who always notices our cats or dog and rushes to "love" them. She is also thankful for the "horseys she gets to ride at the mall and the train set she plays with at Barnes 'n Noble. She is also thankful for mommy and daddy and playing outside.
thanksgiving tree 3




thanksgiving tree 2

No comments: